Signs You're a Victim of Fraud or Identity TheftSep 15, 2022
Watching for identity theft can be a full-time job.
Personally, I recommend you sign up for an identity monitoring service (link to different solutions article) to have them do the heavy lifting. Currently I am not recommending a particular service as I am testing many out to see which offers the best features and services. I will update you in a future blog post about which one I recommend.
Identity theft red flags
If you choose not to sign up for an identity theft monitoring service, here are some red flags to watch for that can be indicative that your identity has been stolen
- Strange charges on credit card bill
- Credit card company contacts you about strange spending
- Credit card statements or other bills stop coming in the mail
- Retails won't accept your personal checks
- New account you didn't open listed on your credit report
- Strange charges on your medical bills or medical benefits are maxed out
- Debt collection calls about accounts you don't recognize
- Tax return is declined (another return filed in your name)
- Declined credit for no reason
- Unemployment being filed in your name
Normally I would give a bit of detail on each of these red flags, but here is the problem. Scammers will try to scam you by telling you, you are being scammed.
Rather than repeating information you may already have read before regarding identity theft, remember to follow your Fellow Fox T.A.C.T. framework and always take control of the situation when someone contacts you about anything to do with your money.
What to do if you think you are a victim of identity theft
Call the bank or the credit card company directly and see what is going on.
Beyond, that, I highly encourage you to freeze your credit as I described in a prior post. This is a good way to prevent people from opening bank accounts, credit cards, and other lines of credit in your name.
If you see something you are unsure of, you can always post a message in the Fellow Fox Community group or send a chat support request, and someone will be happy to guide you along the way.
If you are not part of the Fellow Fox Community I encourage you to check out more about our course on our home page.
If you have questions or concerns, please comment below and I will be happy to help.
Stay safe and stay vigilant,